LEON VAN SCHAIK AO, B.Arch. Studies (Ncle), AADip (SADG), M.Arch (UCT), PhD (CNAA), RIBA, LFAIA, LFAA is Innovation Professor of Architecture at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT). He promotes architectural cultures through practice-based research and the commissioning of innovative architecture. The research programme has become a template for institutions worldwide; a four million Euro grant from the EU Marie Curie Actions Fund has extended its activities in Europe. In 2016 a two year OLT grant networks the programme to most schools in Australasia. In 2006 he was made an Officer (AO) in the General Division of the Order of Australia for his services to architecture and education.
– Pavilions, Pop Ups and Parasols, AD May 2015 (guest edited with Fleur Watson)
– Practical Poetics in Architecture (Wiley 2015)
– Ideograms (Lyon Housemuseum 2013)
– Meaning in space – Housing the visual arts (Lyon Housemuseum 2012)
– By Practice By Invitation, Design Practice Research at RMIT 1986-2011, co-authored with Anna Johnson (onepointsixone 2011)
– Procuring Innovative Architecture, co-authored with Geoffrey London and Beth George (Routledge 2010).
– Spatial Intelligence: New Futures for Architecture (Wiley Academy 2008)
– Non Fictional Narratives, Denton Corker Marshall (Birkhauser 2008)
– Design City Melbourne (Wiley Academy 2006)
– Mastering Architecture: Becoming a Creative Innovator in Practice (Wiley Academy 2005)